Commercial Drivers License
Career Transitions provides one-on-one Class A – Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) training in Belgrade and Bozeman, MT. The CDL program teaches the student how to safely maneuver and drive a 13-speed truck with a 48’ trailer.
- Theory Instruction.
- Pre-trip inspections of the truck are taught thoroughly.
- Log books are kept by the student and teacher to account for hours of service.
- Students learn all aspects of safely inspecting, driving and parking the tractor-trailer.
- Students practice the skills of shifting gears, backing, and making a 90 degree angle turn.
- Practice time is spent in traffic on the highways and side roads.
- Students will practice the key skills in order to pass the DMV pre-trip and drive tests.
Students must have the following to qualify for the program:
- Montana Driver’s license.
- CLP / Learner’s Permit with the Department of Motor Vehicles (passed written exam).
- Passed the Department of Transportation physical exam.
- Negative drug test.
Effective February 7, 2022, FMCSA has established minimum training standards for individuals applying for their Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) for the first time. These individuals are subject to the entry-level driver training (ELDT) requirements and must complete a prescribed program of instruction provided by an approved training provider listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry (TPR).
Career Transitions is a registered training provider for Class A CDL and will submit student results to the TPR.
The training will be two categories: Theory/Knowledge and Behind-the-Wheel.
Theory/Knowledge Training (Up to 40 Hours)
This course is intended to meet all theory (knowledge) requirements listed in the federal regulation 49 CFR Part 380, Special Training Requirements. The course is performed by the student in an online platform and can work at their own pace. Average time is between 15 and 40 hours. Trainees must score at least 80% on the assessment.
Training topics include:
- Basic Operation
- Safe Operating Procedures
- Advanced Operation Procedures
- Vehicle Systems and Reporting Malfunctions
- Non-Driving Activities (e.g., Hours of Service)
- Actual operation of a CMV
- Takes place on a range or public road
- May not use a simulator to meet requirements
- No minimum number of hours, training provider will determine driver’s proficiency
- Basic vehicle control skills and mastery of basic maneuvers
Program includes up to 40 hours of Theory instruction required for the Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations that took affect February 7, 2022.
30-hour COMPREHENSIVE CDL PROGRAM $4,000
- Drug Test, Pre-Trip Inspection Instruction
- Driving Instruction & Practice
- Drive Test using tractor/trailer with instructor
ADDITIONAL HOURS PROGRAM for Students $150/hour
- Continued Driving Instruction with driving instructor after initial training
- Hours are determined by the student, instructor and education coordinator
RE-TEST for Students $300
- Driving Exam at Bozeman fairgrounds using tractor/trailer with CT instructor